Wednesday 22 December 2010

Agha Khan Awards for Architecture - the Green School



photos by the Agha Khan awards for Architecture
The Green School in Bali, Indonesia was shortlisted for the Agha Khan Awards for Architecture but did not make it to the top five. It must be difficult to choose among many great projects, but this one is worth the interest.
The school takes a holistic angle of what teachings can be. Based on sustainability, first the building material uses a locally grown bamboo that fits the climate and helps the local farmers. Energy is produced by alternatie sources including a bamboo sawdust hot water and cooking system, a hydro-powered vortex generator and solar panels. In an effort to give students a hands on experience, each student has a small part of the garden to grow vegetables and send it to the kitchen for their lunch. Their curriculum caters for today's need to be at par but brings also a valuable understanding of what needs to be done in the future.
In their website they posted a quote of the week:
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I'll understand." Native American saying

Link to their website
Link to the Agha Khan Awards for Architecture

2 comments:

DAI said...

Dear Sarah,

I replied to your comment at the DAI blog. The link you posted only took me to the main page of the collection. So I suggested that you comment again with the number of the object...LNS (number) (letter).

Excited to see what your pick was :)

Haya

sarah said...

Thanks Haya for letting me know on my blog what happens on yours!
I am also very thrilled on this interactive way to make the Sabah Collection visible.
It is so rich and plenty...

hope you will find my pick of interest...
Sarah